If your skin is feeling extra dry lately, you aren’t alone. Cold weather, harsh wind, and dry indoor air all conspire to suck the moisture out of your skin during the winter months. Follow these simple tips to help keep your skin smooth and hydrated.
1) Avoid hot water. We know, hot showers and baths feel especially good when its cold out. But prolonged exposure to hot water can strip your skin of excess oil needed to keep it moisturized. Particularly when washing your hands and face, opt for lukewarm water to protect your skin
2) Moisturize Immediately. Moisturize with essential oils or a moisturizer immediately after washing, while skin is still damp. This will seal dampness into your skin, helping your skin stay healthy. Be sure you are using the right moisturizer as well – if you aren’t sure, ask Allison next time you are in the salon for a recommendation that will work best for your skin type.
3) Humidify. Use a humidifier in your home and office to help combat dry indoor air. A humidifier will put moisture back into the air and help prevent your skin from drying out.
4) Hydrate. Aim to drink 8-10 hydrating drinks each day (Coffee, tea and soda don’t count!). This will hydrate your skin from the inside out. Also, try to reach for watery foods, such as soup, fruits, and veggies and avoid crunchy, salty foods.
5) Facials. Treat your skin to a moisturizing facial. During a facial, your skin can get exfoliated and moisturized, creating lasting results that will help keep your skin looking fabulous all winter long.