Every bride deserves to look flawless on her wedding day and the makeup you chose can help enhance your natural beauty. Our fabulous make-up artist, Allison, uses airbrush make-up to help our mira brides look amazing on their big day.
Airbrush make-up being applied
So what is it? Airbrush is a light-weight makeup that is applied through an air gun, producing a thin, even layer of makeup and a very matte finish.
The airbrush gun produces a fine mist which covers the skin and gives the appearance of a flawless complexion. When applying the make-up, your make-up artist will mix foundation colors to create a perfect blend that matches your skin tone. The final product is very lightweight and natural looking.
So what makes it so much better? Airbrush make-up lasts significantly longer than traditional make-up (around 9-12 hours) and will stay flawless all day. Brides need make-up that can go the distance through sweat, tears, and dancing and airbrush make-up can do exactly that. It won’t rub off and its water resistant, so it will stay no matter your wedding day brings.
Another benefit of airbrushing is that is works for everyone. Even brides with sensitive skin or allergies can benefit from the formulas used and the air compressor is one of the most hygenic ways to apply foundation.
What else? The better you treat your skin leading up to your wedding, the better your make-up will look. Having regular facials a few months leading up to your wedding can help your skin’s texture and give you the best base possible for make-up.
Also, make sure to schedule a make-up trial around two months before your wedding. At that point, you will have a good sense of how you want to look on the big day. The make-up trial will allow you to make sure you and your make-up artist are on the same page and that your wedding day make-up will be exactly what you want.
The first haircut for your child can be a huge milestone for mom and dad – but it can be a little intimidating for your little one. We have some tips to make the trip go as smoothly as possible.
First, keep in mind, every child is different – your child could need a haircut early in life, or could be well into his or her toddler years before their hair needs trimmed at all. If your child’s hair is starting to get into their eyes or is bothersome on their neck, it’s probably time to consider giving them a little trim.
Prepare for the big day…
As with all new experiences, preparation is key for successful cut. To prepare your child consider the following ideas:
- Play “hair salon” at home – play pretend with your child and brush their hair and spritz them with water. This gives you the chance to explain that the hair stylist will do that too and show them that it doesn’t hurt.
- Choose your words – the word “cut” can remind children of getting a boo boo; saying “trim” or “style” can make the difference in your child feeling comfortable going into the new experience.
- Time your trim – try to schedule the hair cut for time when you know your child tends to be more cooperative. Work around their nap and eating schedule to try to ensure your child will be more open to the cut
- Bring the right supplies – bring some special treats, or something fun to distract your child if necessary. If they have a special lovey, blanket, or toy, make sure that makes the trip as well. Finally, you may want to consider bringing an extra t-shirt just in case your child doesn’t want to wear the cape while getting their cut done.
The day of…
- First – remember to relax! If you are nervous or emotional, your child will definitely pick up on that.
- Have your child’s hair clean and brushed .
- If your child is having a hard time, remember you can always have them sit on your lap to make them more comfortable
- Finally, bring a fun accessory to put in your child’s hair after the cut to really play up how awesome they look with their new hairdo!
Remember, the more fun you can make a tip to the salon, the better! Hopefully these tips help make your child’s first (and second, and third) haircut a successful experience for everyone!
Lets be honest, these days anything goes with hair color! One of our favorite trends this summer is seeing people embrace fun, funky color (pink, blue, purple!) in their hairstyles. You can add colors in a variety of ways – all over color (if you are really brave!), ombre, dipped ends, or one of our current favorites – add some peek-a-boo highlights to your hair to create a pop of color.
Adding peek-a-boo highlights will add a fun, funky pop of color to your hair without committing to having a full head of pink or purple hair. You can add any color that your heart desires to your style – and if you aren’t sure what will work, feel free to ask your stylist for some advice.
If you are on the more conservative side, you don’t have to go crazy with color to get this look. Peek-a-boo highlights can be done with any color. You can add some blonde highlights to your hair, or pick a contrasting color that will mesh well with your current color. Feel free to look on our pinterest board for inspiration too. You can find it here.
Blue peek-a-boo highlight
Here at mira, we absolutely love brides. We have been honored to work with several brides and their wedding parties over the past several years. We will again be featuring some of our brides in upcoming blogs, but in the meantime, we wanted to give you some advice for picking your perfect wedding look.
When picking your bridal hair, first think about your dress and hairpiece. Is your dress modern? Classic? Glamorous? Your bridal hair should complement your dress, so identify the key words that most match what look your trying to achieve. Additionally, depending on your dress’ neckline, shape, fabric and/or special features, certain hairstyles will look better than others.
Make sure you bring a photo of your dress and any accessories to your trial with your stylist. They can advise you if there any extra considerations based on the style of the dress. This will also allow you to identify if any of your hair accessories poke or are uncomfortable. You don’t want to risk being uncomfortable during the ceremony and reception when you can simply change out the accessory.
Another thing to keep in mind is the time of year and expected weather. A mid-summer wedding can face a lot more humidity than a fall or winter wedding – especially in Northeast Ohio! During the humid summer months, you may be better off with a full updo that will keep your hair off your neck and keep it in place. For dry months, you have more options for leaving it down.
No matter what time of year, dress neckline, or wedding style, the most important thing is to be yourself. Your hairstyle has the power to define your bridal look, so make sure it complements your personality and makes you feel beautiful on your big day.
For bridal hair and updo inspiration, check out our Pinterest page at https://www.pinterest.com/mirahairandbody/
Now that spring has finally arrived, its time to bust out of your winter rut with a new hair style! Hair color trends are ever-changing and there is a new trend that we LOVE! This brand-new color trend resembles the look of a tortoise shell and is called Ecaille.
The technique is different from other hair color staples like balayage and ombre. Golden highlights are paired with darker, rich caramel tones to add dimension and warmth to hair. Check out the transformation below done by our own Melissa Crawford and call the salon today (330-668-6472) to try this new, hip way to color your hair!
The before shot!
A work in progress.
Gorgeous final look
Side view of the new look!
Another side view…
The new hair color from the back!
Our hands and nails are exposed to the world on a daily basis, so it’s important to keep them healthy, strong, and attractive. Plus, nails can harbor bacteria, become brittle or get discolored if you don’t take steps to keep them in tip-top shape.
First, and most importantly, keep your whole body healthy. Doing cardio a few times a week will increase blood flow to your hands and feet, which will help your nails stay stronger and healthier.
When you file and buff your nails, make sure to do it in an up and down motion – never side to side. This will help remove ridges and yellowing in your nails. And, while you want to clean under your nails daily, you never want to file them right after you shower. Nails are weaker after the shower and more likely to break.
Another at home tip for treating your nails – combine a teaspoon of sugar, lemon juice and olive oil into a bowl and massage it into your nails and cuticles for 5 to 10 minutes. This not only increases circulation to your nails, but it will also moisturize and buff the nails.
Finally – make sure you wear gloves when you are doing the dishes or using harsh cleaners. Cleaning products can dry out your nails – which causes them to become brittle and dry. This can include your shampoo – some shampoos designed to keep hair from getting oily can strip the moisture from your nails.
Want more tips? Ask at your next manicure or pedicure – all of our staff members have great advice for keeping your nails looking fantastic!
Massages are more than just a great way to relax, they offer a variety of emotional and physical benefits. For more information on any of the massage benefits below, or to book a massage, call the salon anytime. Here are seven reasons that you should get a massage TODAY:
- Stress Relief: The holidays were stressful! A single massage session can do wonders for lowering your heart rate and your cortisol and insulin levels, which will reduce your daily stress – and help make you healthier and happier!
- Improve Your Immune System: Stress can affect your immune system, so this goes hand in hand with number one. Massage can also increase the immune system’s activity level and overall function.
- Reduce Headaches: Regular massages can help the body maintain an optimal level of relaxation and stress relief. Proactive massage treatments can relax muscle spasms and trigger points, which reduces the chances of migraine attacks and tension headaches. Massage can also be used when you have a headache to release tension and try to relieve pain and pressure.
- Improve Breathing: There are many muscles in the front and back of the body that help with respiration. When these muscles are chronically tight they can disrupt the body’s normal breathing patterns. By using massage to lengthen and relax those muscles, you will be able to breathe deeper and easier.
- Improve Posture: Those same muscles that get tight and restrict your ability to breathe? They affect your posture, too. Poor posture is a major reason for all the neck and back pain that we experience. Your posture also affects digestion and circulation by stressing your internal organs when you hunch forward. Massages can loosen and relax your muscles, allowing your body to settle into a natural, pain-free position.
- Promote Relaxation: The body can create an unhealthy build-up of the stress hormone cortisol during your daily activities. A build-up of cortisol can lead to sleeplessness, headaches, and digestive problems. A massage allows the body to enter into a relaxation mode –which triggers a variety of responses in the body that result in relaxation, lower stress, and improved mood. And the best part? This relaxation benefit lasts well after the massage is over.
- Manage Chronic Conditions: Regular massage programs can help manage the symptoms from a variety of chronic conditions, including fibromyalgia, arthritis, depression, insomnia, migraines, and anxiety. If you are interested in trying to manage your condition or chronic pain through massage, please ask us about it next time you are in the salon.
Now that winter has definitely arrived (and it arrived in a big way!), its time to start thinking about how to protect our hair from the damage winter weather can cause. Winter brings much colder temperatures and much dryer air, which can cause hair troubles like dandruff, static, frizz and more! Luckily, doing a few simple things for your hair can minimize the damage and help keep your bad hair days at bay. As always, your mira stylist can give you more specific tips for the challenges your individual hair presents.
1) This tip an easy one – wear a hat! Hats help protect your hair from the elements and have the added bonus of keeping you warm while outside in the cold. Hats help heat your head, which can cause the dreaded “hat hair”. To avoid that you can wrap your hair in a silk scarf before you put on your wool beanie (this has the added bonus of preventing static from the hat rubbing on your hair). Or, if you have long hair, just twist it into a bun before pulling on your cozy, warm cap.
2) Dry your hair. Its so easy to hit the snooze button and not dry your hair completely — especially when your bed is so warm and the world is so cold! But, exposing the moisture in your hair to the cold can make your hair brittle and dry – leading to further damage to your tresses.
3) Deep condition. During the winter months, its a really good idea to treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment once a week. Winter brings lots of dryness – from the heat running at home and the cold in the air – and deep conditioning will help replenish all the moisture you are losing. There are lots of great products that can help with this – your stylist can help you figure out what the best one for your hair might be.
During the winter months, especially, its also helpful to keep your hair washing to a minimum. This will help prevent your hair from drying out too much. When you do wash your hair, make sure you use lukewarm – not hot – water. Hot water will further dry out your scalp.
4) Get regular trims. Getting regular trims every 6-8 weeks are a great way to help maintain your hair’s health during the winter months. This helps prevent dry, splitting ends and keeps your hair looking and feeling healthy.
Bonus tip: Invest in a humidifier. Having the heat on can cause the air at home to become very dry. Having a humidifier running can add must-needed moisture back into the air and your hair and skin will definitely appreciate it.
Have you noticed a new face walking around the salon? We are beyond excited to welcome Melissa Crawford to the mira family! Melissa is an Akron native and former Revere Minutemen. She loves music, laughing, cooking, and, most importantly, spending time with her family and friends. And – fun fact alert! – Melissa has played tennis her whole life. She’s also fabulous and very friendly, so make sure you say hi next time you are in the salon.
Melissa has extensive experience as a stylist and nail tech. She specializes in fantastic color and cuts, keratin styling treatments, and nails…including some really gorgeous nail art. You can see her work on our Pinterest page (click HERE) – or just call today for an appointment and experience it yourself!