Dry shampoo is a one of our favorite beauty products and a total life-saver. If you’ve never used it, we highly recommend grabbing a bottle next time you are at the salon. Dry shampoo allows you to keep your hair looking clean and refreshed even if you haven’t washed it in a day or two. And, as we all know, washing your hair every day can strip it of natural oils and dry out your hair. So the ability to have clean looking hair without actually washing your hair is essential for the long-term health of your mane.
What is Dry Shampoo
Essentially it’s a powder or fast-drying spray that provides a water-free option for cleansing your hair. Dry shampoo absorbs excess oils from your roots, freshens up your hair and leaves it smelling fresher.
Why Use Dry Shampoo?
There are many reasons why you should use dry shampoo – that’s why we love it so much!
- To be able to shampoo less frequently. As we mentioned, dry shampoo lets you go longer without suffering matted or oily roots so you can go a few days without washing.
- To stretch out a blow-out. After you walk out of the salon with gorgeous hair, you want it to last as long as possible before shampooing. You can easily add a few days to your blow-out with dry shampoo.
- To conserve your color. No matter what shampoo you use, hair color definitely loses some vibrancy after a certain number of shampoos. Swapping out a few regular shampoos for a water-less option between color services will prolong the life of your hair color.
- To eliminate odor. Many dry shampoo formulas feature a pleasant fragrance to instantly refresh your hair.
- To add volume. This is one of the best bonuses of a dry shampoo. Not only does it make your hair look, feel and smell fresher and cleaner, it also gives you a real boost! Directing a powder or spray dry shampoo at your roots immediately adds volume and fullness—as if you’ve just blown-out your hair!
- To save time. Whenever there’s no time for a proper shampoo and blow-dry, dry shampoo is your friend and savior.
- To add texture. Silky hair is lovely and desirable…most of the time. Sometimes, though, a little bit of grit is helpful—like if you’re doing a messy bun or a cool, Pinterest-worthy braid. Dry shampoo gives too-silky strands the heft they need to form and hold a textured upstyle or braid.
How to use dry shampoo
This is the best part – its SO easy to use.
1) Spray into hair at roots (don’t spray all over, stick with just the roots). Your best bet is to lift your hair in 2in sections and spray 10-12 inches away from the roots
2) Blend. Use your fingertips to work excess dry shampoo into your hair. If needed, you can use your blow dryer on a low setting as well
3) Volumize. Use your fingers or a brush to work the product through the rest of your hair.
- Don’t spray it to close to your head. As we said, 10-12 inches from the roots is your best bet
- Don’t blend it right away – give the dry shampoo a chance to absorb the oil in your scalp before working it though your hair
- Less is more. You can always add if needed, so stay conservative with your application