Massages are more than just a great way to relax, they offer a variety of emotional and physical benefits. For more information on any of the massage benefits below, or to book a massage, call the salon anytime. Here are seven reasons that you should get a massage TODAY:
- Stress Relief: The holidays were stressful! A single massage session can do wonders for lowering your heart rate and your cortisol and insulin levels, which will reduce your daily stress – and help make you healthier and happier!
- Improve Your Immune System: Stress can affect your immune system, so this goes hand in hand with number one. Massage can also increase the immune system’s activity level and overall function.
- Reduce Headaches: Regular massages can help the body maintain an optimal level of relaxation and stress relief. Proactive massage treatments can relax muscle spasms and trigger points, which reduces the chances of migraine attacks and tension headaches. Massage can also be used when you have a headache to release tension and try to relieve pain and pressure.
- Improve Breathing: There are many muscles in the front and back of the body that help with respiration. When these muscles are chronically tight they can disrupt the body’s normal breathing patterns. By using massage to lengthen and relax those muscles, you will be able to breathe deeper and easier.
- Improve Posture: Those same muscles that get tight and restrict your ability to breathe? They affect your posture, too. Poor posture is a major reason for all the neck and back pain that we experience. Your posture also affects digestion and circulation by stressing your internal organs when you hunch forward. Massages can loosen and relax your muscles, allowing your body to settle into a natural, pain-free position.
- Promote Relaxation: The body can create an unhealthy build-up of the stress hormone cortisol during your daily activities. A build-up of cortisol can lead to sleeplessness, headaches, and digestive problems. A massage allows the body to enter into a relaxation mode –which triggers a variety of responses in the body that result in relaxation, lower stress, and improved mood. And the best part? This relaxation benefit lasts well after the massage is over.
- Manage Chronic Conditions: Regular massage programs can help manage the symptoms from a variety of chronic conditions, including fibromyalgia, arthritis, depression, insomnia, migraines, and anxiety. If you are interested in trying to manage your condition or chronic pain through massage, please ask us about it next time you are in the salon.